The ghosts of last season's grand finals must have been haunting Sydney FC as their impressive five game unbeaten streak came to an end, courtesy of a seamless Melbourne Victory side.  

Decked out in an array of colourful, fully customised graphics, Allianz Stadium was home to some 16,000 passionate fans on Saturday. The atmosphere was electric as spectators were treated to a sensational 90 minutes of intense, back and forth football that really showed what the A-League is all about.  

What happened in the first half?  

The action began right from the kick off and never subsided until the final whistle blew. Alex Gersbach showed some fancy footwork early on, deftly weaving between two defenders and crossing the ball to Filip Holosko who easily put the ball away on the five minute mark.  

In response, marquee striker Besart Berisha found the back of the net just a few minutes later, bringing the score equal and giving Sky Blues a taste of things to come. With this goal, Berisha continued his incredible track record of scoring 13 times in his last 14 games.   

"No one gets a minutes peace when

[Berisha's] around," said Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat, as quoted by

"You give him those opportunities and he took his two goals ever so well tonight. But it's more than that from him, he brings so much more to the team," he continued.  

Despite Berisha's impressive performance, Sydney FC were far from beaten at this stage, with Alex Brosque scoring off a deflected shot from Kiwi Shane Smeltz in the 20th minute. However, this lead was once again short-lived, after Gui Finkler brought the score to 2-2, slotting the ball away at a very tight angle.

What happened in the second half?  

Both teams came out firing in the second half, and the game was very much still up for grabs. Sky Blues had some good chances, but ultimately failed to capitalise. Victory didn't suffer from the same symptoms and pulled ahead in the 68th minute thanks to a clinical finish from Kosta Barbarouses. Berisha's second goal in stoppage time sealed the deal, and the final score was 4-2 to the visitors.  

As the Sydney Morning Herald noted, referee Chris Beath's decisions didn't help Sky Blues' cause, with the home side incredulous that Gui Finkler, Shane Smeltz and Besart Berisha managed to escape uncarded in some critical moments. This tweet from Sydney FC sums up the home side's feelings towards the officials' call:

Of course, blaming the referee doesn't change the outcome of the game, and regardless of the score line, the match was something that both sides can be proud of.

You can see some of the match highlights in the following YouTube video from ALeagueHD:  

As noted, this was Sydney FC's first loss in the A-League this season, and the outcome pushes them down to second place. Brisbane Roar now lead the pack with 13 points, followed by Sky Blues with 11 points and Melbourne Victory, Western Sydney Wanderers, Newcastle Jets and Wellington Phoenix tied on 11 points.  

As proud supporters of Sydney FC, we're looking forward to seeing what the boys learn from this game and how they perform in their upcoming match against Perth Glory.